Call 911 if you need fire or medical assistance.
The La Conner Fire Department (LCFD) has served our community for over 100 years. The Fire Department became an official department of the Town in 1932. In the 1960’s, local Fire Districts were formed but LCFD continued to serve La Conner and many of the areas outside of the Town.
LCFD had the first heart defibrillator to be used by an all volunteer department in the State of Washington. The La Conner Volunteer Fire Fighter Association raised money throughout the community to purchase the defibrillator, and special protocols were developed by the Skagit County Medical Control Officer. LCFD was also the second department in the county to have a Compressed Air Foam (CAF) pumper. Compressed air is a very effective fire fighting tool which quickly knocks down flames by robbing them of oxygen and increasing the effectiveness of water. It also reduces post fire damage by reducing the need for water to fight fires.
Children’s Fire Safety House
Annually, the Fire Department conducts a 3-day fire safety program at La Conner Elementary School. The program provides fire safety training to preschool and elementary school children.
Become a Volunteer Firefighter
Requirements Before Applying:
- Resident of the Town of La Conner and/or Fire District for a minimum of six months
- Be at least 18 years of age
- You must attend a minimum of 10 fire meetings and/or a a minimum of 60 days
Once these requirements are met, you can complete a Volunteer Firefighter Application. Please click the link below to complete the Volunteer Firefighter Application.
NO APPLICATIONS UNTIL JANUARY 1, 2021
During the application process you will be required to:
- Pass the National Criminal Background Check
- Pass the Department of Licensing Abstract of Driving Record
- Pass the Washington State Volunteer Firefighter’s physical exam
After your application has been submitted and you have passed the National Background Check, you will be contact by Town Hall for further instructions. You’ll also have to go through the Recruitment Academy and participate in 24 hours of training each year.
There is a Probationary Period:
- The La Conner Fire Chief and Truck Captains will evaluate the applicants on performance during the probationary period based upon the criteria as set forth and approve or reject applicants for permanent membership.
- Evaluation for membership shall consist of performance logs, training criteria, and other criteria as set forth and approved by the Town Council and the La Conner Fire Department.
- During this period the applicant will be expected to perform the duties of a volunteer firefighter
- Standard Operating Procedures have been adopted by the Town Council.
La Conner Volunteer Firemen’s Association
The Firemen’s Association is a private, non-profit organization which provides fundraising and community support to our Fire Department. They sponsor an Easter Egg Hunt as well as the Fire Department’s major fundraiser, the St. Patrick’s Day Dance, at Maple Hall. Along with the Fire Service, the Association participates in all community parades. The Firemen’s Association also sponsors the Fire Service Museum on 1st Street in La Conner. The museum provides a wonderful opportunity to view "old-time" fire equipment and gear, including an 1884 horse-drawn, hand-pumped fire-fighting apparatus, as well as artifacts, photographs, correspondence, and reminiscences of pioneer days in Skagit Valley.